A More Enjoyable Trip To Belize)
Many of these items are available in Belize, but it is
best to have them on hand.
Repellent (one for each traveler)
After Bite Ointment
1$, 5$, 10$ Bills for fees and tipping
Bags for - Wet Swim Suits, Cosmetics that may leak due to
air pressure in plane etc.
Pack for Day Trips
Windbreaker or Sweatshirt
Consult with your doctor for vaccinations (none
may be required)
Suggested by Actual Travelers After Returning from Belize:
- Bungy cords to hold baggages and stuff on Golf Cart and other
- Bubble gums and lollipops to give to local kids
- Condiment packets - mayo, ketchup, sauces, relish, etc -- if
you have a kitchen.
- Kids appreciate school supplies; pencils, erasers, paper pads,
clips, etc. These things are worth at least double in Central
- Folding vinyl ice chest - especially nice if you rent a car.
Ice is easy to get and you can fill with soda, bear, oranges,
fruit, etc No Burger Kings or the like in Belize.
- Exchange 20.00 or 40.00 USD into Belize Dollars (not in a bank).
Anyone will give you 2 BZD for 1 USD. 1 BZD is worth fifty cents
Facts About Belize:
- English is the official language
- Area: total: 22,966 sq km; area comparative: slightly smaller
- Population: 272,945 (July 2004 est.)
- Drive on the right side of the road
- Electricity = 110 volts, same as the U.S.
- Formerly known as British Honduras, Belize gained its independence
and was renamed in 1981
- Water and food are generally safe. Purified water is available
at all establishments
- The exchange rate is fixed at $2.00BZ to $1.00US
- The US dollar is widely accepted
- Taxes*: hotel tax of 9%; sales tax of 9% on goods and service.
*Tax rates are subjects to change without notice.
More Facts about
- Food, water
and ice is safe and of good quality in Belize. If you go to Guatemala,
you should use bottled water.
- Locals are
usually nice people. Please ask before taking their picture and
do not give monetary rewards. Kids appreciate school supplies;
pencils, erasers, paper pads, candy, etc.
the park and zoo regulations. Take Nothing But Pictures, Leave
Nothing But Footprints.
- If you go
to Guatemala, change about $20US per personinto 'Quetzals' (Guatemalan
Currency) at the border or Flores Airport. You can use small traveler's
checks in Guatemala. In Belize, US dollars are accepted everywhere.
- When going
on your own (on jungle treks), let your roommate or hotel clerk
know your plans and the time you intend to be back. Have a reliable
- Arrive at
the International airport at least 1.5 hours before flight time.
For domestic flights 1 hour is more than enough. Have your passport
handy and about $35 for Belize
departure tax (this tax may be included in your Int'l airfare
- check with the airlines)